Background

Monday, November 3, 2008

Stop and think.....

I am often struck by the wisdom in simple observations penned by people I admire. I decided I needed to read them more often as they apply to my life. Recently I was on a weekend getaway with Troy and some fabulous friends of ours. We had just finished hiking to a beautiful waterfall and we were in a resort gift shop buying water. While browsing (and cooling off) I came across a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. "

That really made me stop and think....as our life continues, as we grow older and our kids too, as good friends move away -I find myself most often discussing people -- how does that that apply in my life. What kind of benefit am I deriving from these discussions?

The next one came to my mind after my son's football game this past Saturday. We played a team that played really dirty. In a 40 min game this team had 3 holding penalties (that were called) and 5 flag guarding penalties called. (there were probably 15 incidents of flag guarding total - only 5 were called) They jumped and pushed and were very physical. It was frustrating gamee. The boys were frustrated, the coaches were frustrated. The other team was cussing and smack talking to our boys. It was a bad experience. After once again complaining about a call or a NO call -- the parents on the other side of the field started yelling to us to sit down, shut and and stop whining. Somehow (I know big surprize) " then stop cheating " was yelled quite loudly at the other side of the field by someone who shall remain nameless (me). After being embarrassed -- yep I admit it -- and reflecting upon it after the game the quote I had rubbed onto my boys wall came to my mind by John Wooden.

"Sports do not build character -- they reveal it."

I really think that applies to all aspects of the game. Players, Coaches, Referee's & Umpires and especially THE PARENTS. My goal is to now live that in my life during my many years of being a sports mom. Its harder then it sounds! But I know it is something important we can teach our children. LIFE IS NOT FAIR (don't you hate to admit that?) and we need to decide how we are going to deal with it. Are we going to get mad and yell across the field (oops) or are we going to put it all out there in our effort to play a game with integrity? I am grateful for the fabulous coach's that didn't get crazy mad - (or at least they didn't show it) and they told the boys to play through it and show them how to play the game with integrity. I am grateful for the positive role they are playing in my son's life. Now if I can just do the same!

3 comments:

Cheryl J. said...

I'm so proud at you Sarah. I am someone that likes "fairness" and have a hard time watching unfair sports competitions (bad refs and cheaters come to mind). I too had to learn to control myself and not let them get to me. It's so fun learning life lessons isn't it?

Stephanie said...

some great insights. It's hard to restrain the mother bear instinct sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I love you Sarah. You were born with a fairness gene! Did you see the ad for the new tv show where they claim that in a ten minute conversation an average person lies at least 3 times? Now that's something to think about too.